Gill joins other scientists being recruited to run for office, The Atlantic reports

University of Maine paleoecologist Jacquelyn Gill’s concern about the Trump administration’s positions on climate change and other issues has moved her to join 314 Action, a new online organization, aimed at recruiting scientists to run for office, The Atlantic reports. According to its website, 314 Action also seeks to strengthen communication among the STEM community, the public and our elected officials; educate and advocate for and defend the integrity of science and its use; provide a voice for the STEM community on social issues; promote the responsible use of data driven fact based approaches in public policy and increase public engagement with the STEM Community through media. “If you’d told me a year ago that I would consider running for office, I would have laughed,” Gill told The Atlantic. “I always fantasized about serving an administration in an advisory capacity, but we now have explicitly anti-science people in office and in the Cabinet. Waiting passively for people to tap me for my expertise won’t be enough.”