Research Assistant Professor, Climate Change Institute
I am a climate scientist with a graduate education in ice sheet modeling and Quaternary geology. In my current research I use numerical models to study a variety of problems pertaining to global environmental change. Current funded projects examine 1) the Holocene climate and cryopshere in Nortwest Greenland, 2) precipitation and circulation changes across central Alaska over the past 1000 years, and 3) future change in heat index and precipitation across the northeastern U.S. I am also involved in an ongoing project to simulate past climate and mountain glaciation in the western U.S., Sierra Nevada, New Zealand, and across South America.
Also see The Climate Reanalyzer.
- Birkel, S. D., Putnam, A. E., Denton, Koons, P. O., Fastook, J. L., Putnam, D. E., Maasch, K. A., 2012. Climate inferences from a glaciological reconstruction of the Late Pleistocene Wind River Ice Cap, Wind River Range, Wyoming. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, 44(3), p. 265-276.
- Putnam, A. E., Schaefer, J. M., Denton, G. H., Barrell, D. J., Birkel, S. D., Andersen, B. G., Kaplan, M. R., Finkel, R. C., Schwartz, R., Doughty, A. M., in press. The last local glacial maximum at 44°S documented by a 10Be moraine chronology at Lake Ohau, Southern Alps of New Zealand, Journal of Quaternary Science Reviews.
- Birkel, S. D., 2010. Climate investigations using ice sheet and mass balance models with emphasis on North American glaciation. Ph. D. dissertation, University of Maine, Orono, Maine, USA.
- Birkel, S. D., Maasch, K. A., Oglesby, R. J., Fulginiti, L. E., Trindade, F., Hays, C., 2012. Changes in water and wind resources across the central and northeastern U.S. 2060-2010 in 24 km WRF downscale climate simulations. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, USA (poster session).
- Birkel, S. D., Maasch, K. A., Oglesby, R. J., Mayewski, P. A., Rowe, C., Koons, P. O., Hays, C., 2011. A downscaled multi-domain WRF model climate forecast for the northeastern and central U.S. for 2050-2054. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, USA (poster session).
- Birkel, S. D., Putnam, A. E., Schaefer, J., Denton, G. H., Quesada, P., Koons, P. O., 2011. Glaciological reconstruction of Pleistocene glaciers in the Wind River Range, USA and Southern Alps, New Zealand. International Union for Quaternary Research, Bern, Switzerland (poster session).
- Birkel, S. D., Maasch, K. A., Mayewski, P. A., Koons, P. O., 2011. Predicting future climate at high resolution over the northeastern U.S. and elsewhere using the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model. 19th Annual Harold W. Borns Jr. Symposium, Orono, ME, USA (oral presentation 4/7/2011).
- Birkel, S. D., Koons, P. O., Pingree, K. A., Segee, B. E., Zhu, Y., Schauffler, M., 2009. Simple climate model and web interface for inquiry-based learning at middle and high school grade levels. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, USA (poster session).
- Birkel, S. D., Koons, P. O., and Fastook, J. L., 2008. Climatic implications of the mechanical collapse of the Laurentide Ice Sheet. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, USA (oral presentation).
- Dieffenbacher-Krall, A. C., Birkel, S. D., Borns, H. W., Cwynar, L., Doner, L. A., Fastook, J. L., Jacobson, G. L., Chase Langley, G. E., Nurse, A. M, Sayles, C., 2008. A multi-proxy reconstruction of Younger Dryas environmental conditions in Northern Maine and the validity of chironomid-inferred temperatures. New England Geological Society of America Spring Meeting, Buffalo, NY, USA.
- Hughes, T. J., Birkel, S. D., 2008. Glaciology of the Bottleneck. The West Antarctic Ice Sheet Initiative (WAIS) Fall Meeting, Sterling, VA, USA.
PhD., 2010, University of Maine, Orono, ME
Are you Sean Birkel? If so, log in to edit your profile.